The Best of GRReporter
flag_bg flag_gr flag_gb

Two more terrorists have been apprehended

12 July 2013 / 17:07:48  GRReporter
1946 reads

The Greek antiterrorist service captured two people in Thessaloniki. There is evidence that they are members of the terrorist group "Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei". The two men, aged 30, were brought to the headquarters of the antiterrorist service in Athens at dawn, several hours after being apprehended.

During the operation in Thessaloniki the special forces cleared and locked the anarchist commune "Nadir" where one of the apprehended had resided. The authorities investigated a flat in Stavroupouli neighbourhood in Thessaloniki at the same time and, according to sources, confiscated a computer from it.

A pre-trial file against the two detainees has been composed and it is not excluded that they will testify before the prosecutor by the end of the day.

The evidence suggests that the two young men were involved in a series of bombings, including the bombing of the car of Maria Stephi, director of Korydallos prison, on 7 June this year, placing of explosives in the car of an employee at the prison in Nafplio on 13 June and the sending of a parcel bomb to Dimitris Horianopoulous, former head of antiterrorists, 10 days ago.

The three attacks and the arson on the third floor of the Sheraton Hotel in the capital of Indonesia, Jakarta, are part of the "Phoenix Plan". As shown by the relevant manifesto, the attacks involved the groups "Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei" and "Informal Anarchist Federation – FAI". It is important to note that the manifesto assuming responsibility for the bomb in the car of the director of Korydallos prison is entitled “Phoenix Plan" and subtitled "The return of the Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei from the ashes."
The investigation against the two men apprehended in Thessaloniki began after the parcel bomb was sent to the former director of the antiterrorist service and has ended with their seizure. The examination shows that the envelope that was on fire in the postal distribution centre in Athens had been sent from Thessaloniki.

According to sources cited by Kathimerini, the antiterrorists had been trying to trace the two young men a few days before their seizure in Thessaloniki late last night.

A few hours earlier, "Informal Anarchist Federation - FAI" had assumed responsibility for the sending of the parcel bomb through a manifesto, which was posted on Indymedia website. "An operation against the revolutionary organization K.O.Y.A. was carried out in the period when you headed the antiterrorist service," write the authors of the manifesto, referring to the investigation and the first arrests of members of "Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei" in September 2009.

Moreover, they make threats against other antiterrorists, stating that they are "at the top of FAI’s list". The Greek "branch" of the "Informal Anarchist Federation – FAI" is a satellite group of "Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei". The authors of the manifesto ascribe the assassination attempt against the former head of the antiterrorists to the imprisoned members of the group as well as to "all imprisoned active anarchists." The title of the manifesto is "Phoenix Plan - fourth act."

The "Anger Unit" assumed responsibility for their third action, namely the attack in the hotel in Jakarta, and FAI signed the manifesto.

A day earlier, the judicial council had ordered the release of anarchist Kostas Sakas who was in custody on charges of being a member of "Conspiracy of Fire Nuclei". The judges determined a guarantee amounting to 30,000 euro.

Sakas had been apprehended in December 2010 outside an arms depot of the group in the suburb of Nea Smyrni in Athens. He denies that he belongs to it and explains his presence there with his belonging to the anarchist space.

Two months before the end of the statutory period of 18 months relating to his first custody, when the trial against him had already begun, Kostas Sakas was accused of involvement in attacks carried out by the group and was taken into custody again. By law, it cannot be longer than 12 months when it is repeatedly applied. The second trial against Sakas started a few months ago and it is still in a preliminary stage. In early June, the judicial council extended his custody in violation of the law.
On 4 June, the detainee began a hunger strike. He is still in hospital as his condition is critical after losing 16 kg. The doctors state that they have already seen a significant reduction in muscle spasticity, organ exhaustion and there is a risk for his organs to stop functioning as well as a risk of encephalopathy, blindness and internal bleeding.

Tags: Crime newsTerrorismArrestsConspiracy of Fire NucleiFAIKostas Sakas
GRReporter’s content is brought to you for free 7 days a week by a team of highly professional journalists, translators, photographers, operators, software developers, designers. If you like and follow our work, consider whether you could support us financially with an amount at your choice.
You can support us only once as well.
blog comments powered by Disqus