The Best of GRReporter
flag_bg flag_gr flag_gb

Distillery killed three people

15 August 2014 / 13:08:49  GRReporter
2104 reads

Three men, aged 65, 57 and 63 years, died as a result of toxic gas poisoning in Karia village on the Greek island of Lefkada. They died while attempting to repair a building that had been used as a tsipouro distillery in the past.

When the first man entered the distillery he fainted due to the concentrated toxic gases inside it. When his friends noticed that he showed no signs of life they began to seek him. Subsequently, the second man decided to enter the distillery tank to see what had happened, apparently not aware of the danger of this action.
When he entered, he also fainted and later died. The same thing happened to his friend who went inside first. The tragedy, however, did not end there. Although the third man in the group felt that something bad had happened due to which his friends showed no signs of life, he decided to enter the tank and help them. Minutes later he was also poisoned by the gases and died.

By a lucky coincidence, the victims were only three since the son of the third man who went to help narrowly escaped death. According to a neighbour, the young man had also inhaled gases that dazed him but he managed to get out of the tank at the last moment. Neighbours who realized that something bad had happened called the fire service and an ambulance.

The local news website reports that the concentrated gases were so dangerous that one of the firefighters also found himself at risk when he removed his gas mask for a few seconds. He was hospitalized and his life is out of danger.

The official release of the director of the hospital in Lefkada states, "At about 3:15 pm first aid teams sequentially transported from Karia village three dead men, aged 63, 57 and 65 years, who, according to data, lost their lives as a result of inhalation of gases from a distillery. Upon admitting them to the emergency unit, a hospital team comprising an anaesthesiologist, surgeon and a general practitioner attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation for 40 minutes for each of the men, but to no avail. An autopsy will be duly performed, as required by law."

Tags: SocietyDistilleryVicitmsGas poisoningLefkada
GRReporter’s content is brought to you for free 7 days a week by a team of highly professional journalists, translators, photographers, operators, software developers, designers. If you like and follow our work, consider whether you could support us financially with an amount at your choice.
You can support us only once as well.
blog comments powered by Disqus