The Best of GRReporter
flag_bg flag_gr flag_gb

live Aftershock seismic activity in Kefalonia remains above 4 on the Richter scale

07 February 2014 / 11:02:13  GRReporter
4427 reads

"Richter dance" on the island of Kefalonia continues as two aftershocks of above 4 on the Richter scale were recorded overnight. One occurred shortly before 9:30 pm on Thursday and was of 4.4 on the Richter scale, its epicentre being 12 kilometres west of Argostoli. The other was registered at 5:30 am on Friday. It was of 4.1 on the Richter scale, its epicentre being 25 kilometres north-northwest of Argostoli. Seismologists are adamant that both earthquakes had the same seismic focus.


    Until now, Athens Geodetic Institute has recorded a total of 1,329 aftershocks of over 3 on the Richter scale. In addition to the rocking earth, the inhabitants of Kefalonia have been suffering from bad weather in recent days too since it has been continuously raining, strong winds have been blowing and it has been cold which makes it very difficult for them to spend the nights outdoors.
    Meanwhile, the government has decided to subsidize 80 percent of the damage to the houses on the island and for the remaining 20 percent to be covered by interest-free loans. Each family that is forced to rent a house will receive 500 euro per month to pay the rent. Those who will have to build a new house will receive from the state up to 6,000 euro. All residents of the island will be exempt from the inhabited house duty for 2014.


    Seismologists however are worried about another earthquake of 4.2 on the Richter scale that was recorded in the sea around the city of Patras early on Friday, at 3:20 am. This was the second earthquake in the region this week. Its epicentre was in the sea, 12 kilometres southwest of the town of Nafpaktos, at a depth of 5 kilometres.

Tags: Earthquake in Kefalonia Aftershock activityEarthquake in PatrasEpicentreDamageAthens Geodetic Institute
SUPPORT US!
GRReporter’s content is brought to you for free 7 days a week by a team of highly professional journalists, translators, photographers, operators, software developers, designers. If you like and follow our work, consider whether you could support us financially with an amount at your choice.
Subscription
You can support us only once as well.
blog comments powered by Disqus